Gardens hold more than dirt and plants. They hold power. They heal.

Gardens foster community and relationships and awaken the senses while they provide hope and teach patience and fortitude.

Gardens contribute to our quality of life whether we're working in them or sitting back and taking them in.

Here we will dig deep and expose what all gardens hold, teach and reveal.

Oh, The Possibilities!

2.18.2011
"MMMMM!! Smell That?" I say to my husband.  The scent hit me immediately as I walked through the exhibit hall double doors.  Halfway up the ramp, I heard it, too.  Spring was hitting all my senses.  The St. Paul Home and Garden show was in full swing and I could feel spring.  From the smell of the lilies, hyacinth, and mulch, to the sound of the water running in make-shift ponds and their feeder waterfalls, I was immersed in spring.
My mood and step lightened as I looked around at the primrose, the lilies, the hyacinth, and all the other forced bulbs.  It was 20 degrees and windy outside.  The sun was hiding behind some clouds, but inside was warm, smelled good, and was full of bright colors.
I love feeling the hope, the inevitable changing of the seasons, the comfort that the world keeps turning, and I with it, that comes with witnessing the beginning of a new season.
We at Home Sown Gardens often encourage those who struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or those who just plain have trouble getting through long Minnesota winters, to plant spring flowering bulbs or early spring blooming perennials.  Just the thought of them popping through the ground gives one hope.  The mere thought gives one something to look forward to, something that keeps them going and makes them think of life, color, waking up after a period of hibernation or dormancy.  Then there’s the actual emergence, and the thoughts that we can all begin anew.  It’s a fresh start, a chance to bloom our best.
Smelling spring and thinking about the spring bulbs gets me dreaming about my garden.  What am I going to move this year?  The Obedients really need a bigger place to roam.  What new plants am I going to try?  I’ve been eyeing a Hydrangea Paniculata for some time now.  I really wanted to get some new mulch added to my East bed and the rocks in my North bed replaced with mulch.  The flag Iris is looking kind of tired, I wonder if it would like its feet in a wetter spot?
I can hear my husband saying something to me, but I’m too immersed in my summer garden plans to pay any attention.  “Tami!” he prods, “What are you thinking about?”
“Oh, the possibilities…” I murmur back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your input. What insights did you have reading the post? What are your related experiences? Can you add to the content? Thanks for reading!