Gardens hold more than dirt and plants. They hold power. They heal.

Gardens foster community and relationships and awaken the senses while they provide hope and teach patience and fortitude.

Gardens contribute to our quality of life whether we're working in them or sitting back and taking them in.

Here we will dig deep and expose what all gardens hold, teach and reveal.

We Won the Neighbor Lottery

by Heather Ford-Helgeson
August 12th, 2011

My husband and I moved into our second home in South Minneapolis last spring.  Our first we owned for eight years and though we loved out home, we did not love our street; busy, loud, and we hardly new anyone around us.  The home across the street was a rental and the renters were the worst! These guys couldn't have been less than 30-years old and yet still had a juvenile infatuation with fireworks. Though the worst of their pop-crack-popping was over July 4th, they did not feel inclined to regulate their hobby to one month; bringing out the annoying nose-makers at various times throughout the year, mainly late in the night.  We would find firework shells on our roof and in our lawn all the time.  It saddens me to say this, but I really hate the fourth of July now. Ugh! I hope that changes over time.

I have a pretty good chance of getting over my 4th of July hangup now as I am in neighbor heaven.  When Matt and I closed on our current house, we took the first week to clean and paint before we officially moved in.  Within that first week, all of our neighbors directly around us came and introduced themselves. We were shocked and pleasantly so.  I was pregnant at the time and we even received baby gifts from some of the neighbors! I still get choked up just thinking about it.

One of the highlights for me has been our neighbors to the north.  We don't chat all that often, as we're all busy, but when we do, it's comfortable and easy and I get the best feeling from them and, the kicker, their landscaping it an absolutely wonder! Eric, the garden master, has been working on his yards for over 18 years and every single bit is perfectly sculpted.  I try so hard not to stare too long but I have to admit, when I wake up and pull back my curtains in my bedroom most mornings, I spend at least a few minutes dreamily looking into his back-yard; fountains and ponds, container gardens, perennial grasses everywhere, white tall-phlox so tall and gorgeous they make my heart skip a beat, and so much more! His work inspires me and makes me love my block all the more, as I am proud to have a neighbor of such grand creativity and imagination.  It will take me a long time, I have no doubt, but I will make my yards into something that makes me feel how I do when I look into Eric's yard; peaceful and hopeful.

Eric has a blog entitled Garden Drama and please click the title and check it out.  You will learn something, I guarantee it, and you will be inspired to if not garden, to at least enjoy gardens all the more.

Is there a garden and/or gardener that inspires you? If so, tell us all about them in the comment section below. We'd love to read about it.

Thanks for your time and I'll write again soon.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your input. What insights did you have reading the post? What are your related experiences? Can you add to the content? Thanks for reading!