Gardens hold more than dirt and plants. They hold power. They heal.

Gardens foster community and relationships and awaken the senses while they provide hope and teach patience and fortitude.

Gardens contribute to our quality of life whether we're working in them or sitting back and taking them in.

Here we will dig deep and expose what all gardens hold, teach and reveal.

As the Leaves Leave

by Heather Ford-Helgeson

My head has been buried in thought and my daughter lately and it is easy for me to go whole days with not noticing much of my surroundings.  The wind, a few days ago, caught my attention, however, and when I looked up and focused on the world around me, I was shocked to see that it is beginning to look a lot like winter; rather in-congruent when it's this warm, but none-the-less, winter is coming.

Thankfully there are still some leaves hanging on and so must we.  And besides, the sound of shoes crackling through leaves and the smell of them burning are triggers for memories of happy fall days of the past.

In a couple of days I'll get out in the yard to do the fall cut back of my perennials and when I'm done with that I'm going to rake leaves and I'm excited to see what my 15 month old will think of that; hopefully she'll jump on into the piles with me.

It feels good to a.) be doing a fall clean-up in November and know I won't have to wear thermal underwear and b.) to do a fall clean-up, period! I can't stand starting out in the spring with all the dead perennials and leaves all over my landscaped and garden areas. I want the snow to melt to reveal a blank canvas and as the days lengthen and the sunlight strengthens, watch mother nature create her works of art.

Happy fall, everyone, when next I write, it may be winter...but we can dare to dream for a couple more weeks of autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your input. What insights did you have reading the post? What are your related experiences? Can you add to the content? Thanks for reading!